Friday, 30 November 2007

Safe In Our Beds

Taken from Australia’s ‘Herald Sun’ November 29 2007
"AN EAST Timorese court has convicted four military officers of the murder of eight unarmed police in May last year.
A group of soldiers fired on the police as United Nations officers tried to broker a peace deal between the two sides near the mission's office in the capital Dili.
The court sentenced the four soldiers to between 10 and 12 years' imprisonment and acquitted seven other soldiers and one policemen."


Taken from UNMIT Media monitoring, Thursday 29 November 2007
"Heavy weapons for the F-FDTL to arrive next month.
The State Secretary of Defence, Julio Thomas Pinto, said that special weapons, to be used by the F-FDTL for night operations, will arrive in December.“The purchase was part of the program of 20:20, along side the establishment of a munitions store and a military court that the government runs, to develop the nation’s defence forces,” said Mr. Pinto on Wednesday (28/11) in the Government Palace, Dili.The State Secretary also said that the program of 20:20 was planned by the previous government, but the current government has a commitment to make it happen. (TP)"

Comments invited.............

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope they will lock the guns and burry the key.

Anonymous said...

The big guns involved in the "bringing down the government of Mari Alkatiri" should also go on trial! I mean the Leaders of the 2 nations that manipulated the situation to achieve what they achieved: The removal of Alkatiri. The Timorese bishops as well. To put "small chicks" in jail is not enough! The big ROOSTERS should go there as well!

JUST JUSTICE